Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Squiggs Hood

    I was completely unaware of the many blessings the Lord would pour out on me when I started college almost a year ago. I could probably list a hundred, but Lauren Hood’s unconditional love and continual desire for me to seek out the Lord has been one of the greatest undeserved gifts. When I first found out that she was to be one of my bible study leaders for the year  I was a little apprehensive and I wasn’t sure why. Now I know that it was because she would accept nothing less than complete honesty and vulnerability from the other girls and I. Lauren doesn’t pretend that she is perfect. But more importantly, she doesn’t forget that we aren’t either. Her desire to share in our struggles and hurts is paired wonderfully with total sincerity and tenderness.
    Lauren is also REALLY loud and I love it. Although this may be joked about, I don’t think anyone could understand how oddly comforting this has been. I grew up in a loud home, people constantly running in and out, competing to be heard by yelling louder than one another, my mom’s laugh and voice was a constant background to everything. Now that my life has quieted down, being in the same room as Lauren brings me a simple joy that reminds me of my family.  Even though it seems silly that I appreciate this so much about Lauren, it has shown me that not only does God know me so well and has quite the sense of humor, but he cares about even the silliest and seemingly smallest desires of my heart.
    As the fall semester moved on, I got the chance to ask Lauren to disciple me. As this year has passed, she has learned about my brokenness, my insecurities and seen the struggles that cause me to lack faith and trust in God. Again, her obedience to the Lord led her to shed wisdom into my life and share in my burdens. She has constantly reminded me and, even better, demonstrated through the way she lives her life that the Lord is faithful to his children AND Jesus has made it so that He won’t ever turn His back on me. How beautiful and loving is our God??
    Thank you so so much for your friendship, Squiggs, and for being a beautiful example of having joy and hope in our savior. I am so grateful that I get to pray, evangelize, fellowship, eat Italian food, color, laugh, and learn from you. I am praying that God will provide me with another sister to pass along the love that He has allowed you to show to me.

         Love you always.

Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. -Galatians 6:2

You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. -Psalm 16:11

No comments:

Post a Comment